Sunday, February 13, 2011

To: My Valentine!

In honor of this Valentine's Day, I attempted to research the history of this holiday.  I muddled through the wikipedia history for about thirty minutes before deciding that the the Valentine's Day history for kids was all that I needed to know about the holiday!  (Also, its hard to concentrate on anything with the Grammy Awards on tonight!)
So, after my thorough research, I have come to the conclusion that there is much speculation on the origins of this holiday that we celebrate with chocolates and flowers.  The true origin is not known, but it dates back to some where around third century in Rome. 
The fun facts were more interesting to me.  Such as the fact that Valentine's cards are second only to Christmas cards sent (volume-wise). 

*side note: Bob Dylan sounds awful.  I heard him in concert six years ago and I couldn't understand a word.  Tonight he is somewhat legible, but he sounds like he needs to cough and clear his throat.  On the other hand, his harmonica sounded very clear and therefore I think he should stick to that now.  Jay, you need to start practicing by the way.  I want to hear more than "Camptown Races" when you get home!

Another interesing fact is that "teachers will receive the most Valentine's Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets".... I guess Lilly and Billy will be needing VDay cards...I had no idea. :)  One website mentioned superstitions about VDay.  This was my favorite:

It is said that the kind of bird a girl watches on Valentine's Day predicts her future husband. For instance:
Sparrow: a poor man
Owl: remain spinster
Bluebird: a happy man
Blackbird: a priest or clergyman
Crossbill: an argumentative man


I must have seen alot of bluebirds on my past February 14ths!  I have NO idea what a crossbill is, but there might have been one thrown in there. j/k
Oh Jay, how I love thee....Let me count the ways!!  This is Jay on our very first date.  Everyone who knows me knows what a picture person I am.  I feel the NECESSITY to document every moment of my life with pictures.  So I was sneaky about this one.  I pretended that it was no big deal and just snapped it really quick...So after a wonderful first date, this was the very picture that I stared at...I zoomed in on....I talked about...this is the man that I fell in love with.  Starting on August 25th, 2009 (our first date), my love for Jay grew in to what it is now.  He confessed that he was falling in love with me only after a few dates, and then only weeks in to our whirlwind romance, he informed me that he was going to marry me!!  But I never felt more comfortable or sure about any decision in my life.  I know that God had US planned from the beginning and that He is with us every step.  So, I can't pinpoint a very time when I knew that Jay was the one, but I can definitely say that from this first date on, my life has been so full of love and happiness. 
Jay Jordan, Will You Be My Valentine?

File:Anthropomorphic Valentine, crica 1950.JPG

1 comment:

  1. How am I supposed to follow that? Amy Jordan oh how I love thee MORE! I gladly accept your Valentine's Day invitation. I love you SOOOOO MUCHO!!!

    ReplyDelete