Thursday, February 17, 2011

I think I have a problem...

A wise man (my Daddy) once said that "you can go broke saving money".  And I think that I am understanding him clearly now.  I am a sucker for the dollar aisle at Target, 'after holiday' shopping sprees and buy one get one free.  I don't get that shopping "high" from just plain shopping...I get it from getting a deal!  It's a problem.  Its a problem that Jay thinks is cute...and he will continue to think that it's cute until we don't have any money for peanut butter BUT I have forty pairs of Fourth of July patriotic sunglasses and ten packs of glow-in-the-dark bendy straws. So who needs peanut butter. :)

I have recently discovered two websites that have become a staple to my morning routine and an addiction in my life.  Groupon.com and Livingsocial.com (Halfoffdepot.com is interesting occasionally but not interesting enough to deserve more than this brief mention.). Both of these websites offer great deals in your area EVERY DAY and they are emailed to your phone.  I mean, I wake up for these emails....I go to sleep dreaming about what tomorrow's deal may be?  It's consuming.  And obsessive.  But I'm getting such great deals!  For instance, for $15.00 I got a $30.00 certificate to spend at a local vintage wine store!  I also got a $45.00 certificate to a local Italian restaurant for $22.00!  Other "deals" I have acquired include an on-site car wash/detail, an online scrapbooking certificate and a massage.  It's so convenient to have the app on my phone too...one button and my preloaded debit card info purchases all of these prizes!! (I sound like a commercial. It's sad)

My favorite purchase, however, is a trip.  Yes, Livingsocial.com provides me with a list of about ten "Escapes" per week that are vacations across the U.S./S. America/Canada and they are at extremely discounted prices.  The one I purchased was to Florence, AL which is where my parents were married!  It includes two nights in the Marriot Shoals Hotel & Spa, complimentary breakfast each morning, a fifty dollar credit to the spa (we are putting it towards a couples massage) and a fifty dollar credit to the hotel's The 360 Grill (which is on a 22 story needle and rotates while you dine)!  All of this was....drum roll..... $235.00.  I couldn't believe it.  I still can't.  I'm so excited I can't stand it.  :)

So, this will be our first trip since the honeymoon.  And we can't wait!  This should be happening in March, so I will post some pictures then.  To anyone that loves a deal and has not checked out this websites, I strongly caution you.  In the words of the afore mentioned wise man: You can go broke saving money!

Oh yeah, and Lilly got a haircut today...Thank you Mom!!

1 comment:

  1. You know I have the same problem you do. I get excited seeing you get so pumped up over the deals you find. We will always make use of the deals and finds you have. I'm just proud that you bargain shop. What a great addiction to have. :) Now we will need something to put 100 pairs of New Years 2011 sunglasses in. And I will wear all of them with pride. I love you and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete