Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Memphis Continued...

It's time to play catch up!  After the Memphis Zoo, we went to a place that I have heard of all my life called Coletta's.  Coletta's is an Italian restaurant that my parents ate at on their trips to Memphis (one of their destinations for fun because it was not too far from Ole Miss).  If I had to guess, I would say that Coletta's right now looks like Coletta's looked over 50 years ago.  It is still owned by the same family, and when I asked my dad to describe it, he said word for word what it looked like.  From the red and white checked table clothes to the bowls that our salads came in.  Coletta's was one of Elvis' favorite restaurants also.  According to their website and menu they are famous for creating the BBQ pizza..so that's what Jay ordered.  Everything was really good, but the connection to the past that we felt was even better.

We checked in to the Peabody (where we spent the first night of our honeymoon), and then had some fab massages that were well needed after the zoo trip!  That night we tried out Texas de Brazil for our first time and we decided that one time was enough at that restaurant.  I have never seen Jay turn away food!  :)  Our horse and buggy ride helped to settle our full stomachs!
The next morning, Jay and I made a planned trip to the Gibson guitar factory.  I suggest to anyone--guitar lover, musician or not--to take this tour.  WOW.  The tour takes you through the makings of a semi-hollow bodied guitar from the very beginning all the way to the paint job and tuning at the end.  We had to wear goggles: 
The air has to stay at a certain humidity that is good for the wood (good for the wood haha) so there are misters everywhere and there is sawdust flying through the air the entire time.  It was one of the most interesting tours that I have ever been on for anything because we were about ten feet away from the workers and had no barriers between us and them.  We were so impressed with the whole thing that we decided that for Jay's anniversary present, he needed a new Gipson...
This one will do. :)  It's silver.   And it sounds AMAZING when he plays it.

Our next stop was the Rock and Soul Museum (ran by the Smithsonian Institute) across the street and it was not as interesting, to say the least.  Not recommended. SO we headed to phase two of our trip--NASHVILLE!



There is just so much to tell!  First of all, our hotel was so impressive.  The Hermitage is right in the middle of everything, historic, faaaannnccy. :)  Everyone knew our names as we entered and they constantly addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. Jordan.  Our room was one of the greatest rooms ever.  Marble bathroom, two person shower, mini bar, sitting area...I could have stayed there for a very long time. 
Getting ready for our anniversary dinner
Anniversary dessert!
Lobby of the Hermitage

Our anniversary dinner was in the hotel's restaurant which serves fresh foods from the Chef's garden/farm.  I loved the sweet vidalia onion soup so much that Jay ordered it for room service the second night!

On our first actual day in Nashville, we visited the Country Music Hall of Fame...which was super cool.  The only thing NOT super cool was the fact that it was apparently "free day" for kids.  We went through rather quickly.  However, we were able to stand in line for autographs and pictures with the Oak Ridge Boys which was a total suprise to us! 
Due to the way that the shirt I wore that day made me look awful, I am refusing to post the pic of US with the Oak Ridge Boys. :)  But here they are.
Next on the agenda was the Ryman Auditorium--the original home of the Grand Ole Opry.  The day that we went, they were removing the original wooden stage in order to replace it so no pictures were allowed.  It was definitely a tour that was worth it. To be there where all of those music legends performed was an incredible experience.


Lastly, my wonderful husband bought us tickets to the Grand Ole Opry at Opryland!  We arrived early to check out the Gaylord Opryland and we were impressed.  The hotel/shopping/restaurant area was all enclosed with a "river" running through it.  It just has to be seen in person to be appreciated.  The Opryhouse was built to resemble and almost replicate the Ryman Auditorium. We were so glad that we had toured the Ryman earlier in the day so that we could compare.  The seats are just long curved pews.  There are no arm rests to seperate you from your neighbor.  There are no seat cushions to make your butt not go to sleep.  But there IS alot of togetherness and respect and appreciation in that place.  It really takes you back to when people would bring their lunch/dinner and their kids and gather around for the fun and entertainment.  I guess that Jay and I just didn't know alot about the Grand Ole Opry.  I didn't realize that it's still a radio show.  I didn't realize that it is live on the air.  So imagine my surprise when after the first act, a man at the corner of the stage with a deep voice begins "A big thanks goes to our sponsors tonight, especially Dollar General Stores.  Save money. Save time.  Thanks also to Bass Pro Shops for...." I mean, I looked at Jay like WHAT in the WORLD is going on??  You got used to it though.  On commercial breaks, I would go fetch us another drink and some popcorn.  We saw Little Big Town, Diamond Rio and a couple of others that I have forgotten...I wish that there were more places like the Grand Ole Opry.  I can't wait to go again.

That finally concludes most of our Memphis/Nashville Anniversary Trip.  Here are just a couple more highlighting pics:
Jay eating ribs at the Rendevous in Memphis

Jay enjoying his complimentary robe after a bath.

Part of the lobby in the Hermitage during the day

Last note: My wonderful anniversary present just so happened to be the most beautiful pair of diamond earrings that I have ever seen...from my favorite jewelry store.  Thank you, my Jay, for always treating me like a princess.
They are perfect for me. Just like YOU.



No comments:

Post a Comment