Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Avocado Antique Dresser

First of all, thank you Jay for your sweet blog entry!  You always do so much that reminds me of how lucky I am!  I love you!

Happy New Year!  We know that 2011 is going to be amazing.  We already have many plans for the year.  Among all of these plans is included finishing up the guest room.  Since we only have one extra bedroom, it has to serve many purposes.  The Murphy Bed was the biggest hurdle that we had to jump and it has turned out to be such a unique and useful feature in our home. 
Our first 2011 project was to revamp a hand-me-down dresser that was at my mom's house being used as a catch-all.  We needed a small one for the guest room and it was the perfect size.
The drawers in this thing were covered with old flowery wall paper and fabric...So we stripped them and used black pleather contact paper to line them. (This was way harder than I think it should have been and I think that we are going to address the drawer lining with a different material and method, ASAP.)
And here we are making use of the black pleather contact paper scraps:

While I was at work, Jay sanded away the 6 layers of paint including the colors black, white, light pink and blue.

I chose the initial colors and Jay whittled down our choices until we both agreed on light avocado.  We also agreed to keep the original antique hardware...


It looks fantastic!!
I think that this is our hobby.  As a couple.  Its so fun discovering things about each other as we go.  Jay and I love to make something more "us".  I've never met anyone as talented as he is...and he makes me feel like I am the best supervisor in the world.  Until he returns, the projects are all on hold.  Although I am threatening to drag out his power tools and make some crazy awesome birdhouses...I think that I could do it, and I just might!

No comments:

Post a Comment