Thursday, April 21, 2011

My new "grown-up car"...

Before I post about our second trip this year, I have got to say how excited I am about our new vehicle!

Since Jay's truck was in the shop having work done from the break in:

 we wound up having to take my car on the six hour drive to our other vacation.  While we were on vacation, my car's radiator started leaking which made us have to do a quick fix on it in order to get it back home and in the shop...

Background on my car... My 2004 Midnight Blue Hyundai Tiburon
1.  My daddy bought it for me.
2.  In 2004 when I was in the middle of my senior year of high school.
3.  It was paid off.
4.  It comfortably sat 2 people...it had been known to seat 5 people uncomfortably.
5.  I loved it.

But when it came down to it, it was time to upgrade.  Especially after watching my 6'6'' husband drive it for 6 hours straight.  His knees were on both sides of the steering wheel.  It was cute. :)
When we arrived home from our vacation, we quickly put the car in to the shop THAT afternoon.  Since we had no other car at that point, Jay picked me up on the Harley and said, "Well, where do you want to go?"  As I put on my helmet, I hopped behind him and said "the closest dealership."  He laughed as we drove off.  See, he had been trying to get me to get a new car for a while and I think that this trip had been the last straw for him too.
So we went to a Ford dealership (because I thought that I wanted a hybrid Escape), and our biggest "test" for the car was that we both had to sit in it and have PLENTY of room.  After sitting in a few, we decided that the Explorer was the way to go for us.  The dealership had three different black ones and a white one...and my wonderful selfless husband said "pick one".  Now, I know that this will not always be the case.  One day our money will be spent on diapers and extra savings and dentures, etc.  So I am enjoying this.  And I did.  I picked my favorite one:

(I look that way because we had been in the car all day and then on the bike.  If I had known we were buying a car, I would have put on lipstick at least, Mom.)

So, I cried when we signed the paper work...I sobbed to my mom on the phone telling her "but my daddy bought me my car" and various other blubbering emotions.  Poor Jay, it was probably hard to tell how excited I was at first. :)  This is me getting off the phone with Mom and realizing that I'm a big girl...a big girl who is getting a new car.  A big girl whose husband is getting her a new car.  It's a growing up thing.

And here she is at home!  I haven't named it yet... I can't decide if it's a boy or girl... (yes, we name our cars)  Jay's truck is Bertha. Ha.  I'm open to suggestions.
I'm so happy and excited.  It's just another story in this next chapter of our life.  It's our "family car"...but its mine... ( hee hee )
I love you Jay!  Thank you for loving me.  Thank you for getting us a new car the afternoon before you leave to go to work again...I will NEVER figure out all of these buttons. :)

4 comments:

  1. Yes my love. That trip was fabulous. Once again you struck gold with your wonderful finds. And Tibby wasn't that bad. It was hard to keep my eyes on the road with ya sitting next to me. :) I'm so thankful you got the ride you wanted. I hated to see Tibby go as well but it was just time. I love love love your new ride and I am ready for our plans to take off so we can sing another 105 songs along the way. You are my world and I love and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your car served you well all these years, but I think the new car will also provide you a lot of wondrous memories, and I'm sure that it will last for a very long time with you and Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks nice! Your new car definitely looks more awesome. What happened to the old one, by the way? Did you sell it or had it traded? While you definitely need to have the radiator replaced, I think it still had a long way to go if you bought a new radiator for it.

    Radiator Warehouse Sacramento

    ReplyDelete